500 million people speak Spanish around the globe.
Hispanic populations in the U.S. have grown by over 60% in the last decade and their spending power towers as much as $900 million annually!
Every area of daily life and career opportunities can be enhanced by the study of Spanish:
- Medical and service fields
- Manufacturing and business
- Police and military
- Retail and art fields
- Social services and education
- Television, movie, and journalism media
- Agriculture and environmental conservation
- Telecommunications and computer software
All these fields and more are directly affected by the Hispanic world. Many students take a double major of Spanish and Business!
We offer the following programs in Spanish Studies at EKU:
- B.A. in Spanish - 120 credit hours (30 credit hours in Spanish topic courses)
- B.A. in Spanish Teaching - 120 credit hours (30 credit hours in Spanish topic courses)
- Minor in Spanish - 21 credit hours starting at the SPA 201 level
- Certificate of Spanish- 15 credit hours starting at the SPA 201 level
Spanish Advising Assistance:
- Retro-Credit - If you have previous studies in Spanish before college, you can start at a higher level and earn additional credit hours for no extra time or money! For example, if you have taken 2 years of HS Spanish and start your EKU studies in SPA 102 and recieve an "A", you will receive an additional 3 credit hours for SPA 101.
- CLEP Tests/ Advanced Placement (AP) / Departmental Exams - Test out or up to a higher level and save time and money! (LCH Dept. Exams cover SPA 101-206)
- Course Descriptions - We offer a wide range of courses from beginning conversation to Business Spanish, to Spanish for the Social Services!
- Spanish Studies fulfills General Education Requirements! - SPA courses can help you fulfill Gen. Ed. requirements, no matter that your degree program is! (Please be aware that SPA 101-202 are not open to native speakers)
- Curriculum Guides - B.A. in Spanish and B.A. in Spanish Teaching
If you have questions regarding adding SPA as a major, what class you should begin your studies in, or other topics, contact:
Socorro Zaragoza, Spanish Studies Advisor, (859) 622-6435, McCreary Hall, Tower A, Room 213
Spanish Studies Resources:
Student Preparations and Expectations for Courses in Spanish guide - read up on college Spanish.
Indiana University Master's Level Spanish Bilingual Speech-Language Pathologist program - The Department of Speech and Hearing Sciences of Indiana University is proud to announce a program at the master’s level focusing on training Spanish-speaking individuals to work with the Latino community as speech-language pathologists. An undergraduate degree in speech-language pathology is NOT necessary. Please post or distribute the attached flyer to your undergraduate students with Spanish proficiency. Student funding is available to those who qualify (pending grant renewal). For more information, please contact Meghan Buchanan, email@example.com, 812-855-3605, or Dr. Raquel Anderson, firstname.lastname@example.org, 812-855-4161.